Frequently Asked Questions

Chickens for personal use are allowed on parcels greater than 10,000 square feet in all zones, except in multifamily and RM-2 zoning districts unless developed as a duplex or halfplex. 

The keeping of crowing fowl as an incidental use shall be allowed in all zoning districts other than RD-10 through RD-40, RM-2, O, Mixed Use, and M-2.​

Horses, for personal use, are allowed on parcels greater than 20,000 square feet in all zones, except in multifamily and RM-2 zoning districts unless developed as a duplex or halfplex. 

Horse stables in residential zones must meet the standards in section 5.4.5.B of the Zoning Code.​

Pigs are permitted in Agricultural and Agricultural-Residential zones, with additional limits on AR-1 and AR-2 zones. A minimum net area of 20,000 square feet is required to keep pigs for personal use. 

Parcels must have a minimum of two acres for commercial use of pigs. See sections 3.2.5 and 3.4.4 of the Sacramento County Zoning Code for more information.

​​​As many chickens and horses as you are able to maintain in a healthy, sanitary, and nuisance-free condition are permitted, provided the minimum lot size is met.​

Up to four mature cats and four mature dogs on one lot, building, structure, enclosure or premises are allowed. More than 4 mature animals requires a use permit for a​​ cattery or kennel. 

Complaints of illegal cattery or kennel are received by Sacramento County Animal Control and Regulation, a​nd properties that do not comply are subject to follow-up enforcement by Code Enforcement. 

Household pets other than cats or dogs are not regulated by the zoning code. Domesticated animals kept for pleasure, in a cage, terrarium, aquarium or other confinement within the primary dwelling are not regulated by Code Enforcement as long as they are kept in a safe, healthy and nuisance-free condition.

​Dog owners have an obligation to control their animals.  If a pet owner is not keeping their animal restrained or under control, county residents can contact Animal Care and Regulation.  

Also, the Sacramento Mediation Center at 916-441-7979 is a good resource.  This is a non-profit agency that provides mediation services for neighbor disputes.  For an initial fee of $25, the mediation center can attempt to open up a dialogue to resolve a neighbor dispute. ​​

If you are a tenant, contact Code Enforcement and file a complaint by dialing 3-1-1 or online at Sacramento County 311 Connect

For more information about rats a​nd mice, you can visit UC Davis' Quick Tips for Managing Home and Landscape Pests website

For information about wildlife, including skunks and raccoons, please contact the Wildlife Services Program, run by the County Agricultural Commission.