Owners of vacant homes are required to maintain landscaping on their property. This means ensuring overgrown, diseased, dead, or decaying trees, weeds, or other vegetation are not:
- Constituting a fire hazard
- Creating the potential for the harborage of rats and vermin
- Overgrown in a public right-of-way by 12 inches
- Or completely dead and over 12 inches tall covering more than 50% of the front or side yard visible from any street.s of neighboring properties
- Substantially detracting from the aesthetic and property value
If a vacant home in your neighborhood has not maintained their landscaping, you can file a complaint with Code Enforcement at Sacramento County 311 Connect.